Here’s another DaVinci Resolve update with a few items you should be aware of.
The list of updates below includes the usual general performance and stability improvements (I love to see it!), and a number of bug fixes.
One thing to be aware of with 18.6 and this update, is that the proxy features are more prominently featured.
The first item in the update list is that “Systems now default to prefer proxy for single and multi user projects.”
This is in part because of the the proxy generator operating within Resolve so that smaller versions of files can be created for Blackmagic Cloud syncing.
It’s also useful to encourage editors to use proxies to improve playback performance.
But if you are a colorist or finishing editor and want playback from original media, you’ll need to remember to switch this preference to play original media.
From Blackmagic Design:
Today we released DaVinci Resolve 18.6.1 which includes a number of improvements for Blackmagic Cloud workflow, including making proxies the default setting for single and multi user projects and improved cloud media syncing for projects updated from DaVinci Resolve 18.5.
In addition, this update includes fixing delays when carrying out ripple edits or deletions on more complex timelines. This update also improves the playback function when performing edits or moving clips, allowing you to quickly edit your footage while playback continues uninterrupted.
For audio, there are improvements when working with multichannel audio, allowing you to drag stereo or 5.1 tracks from the media page file browser into your project and have them correctly display as multichannel clips. For Fusion, this update improves stability when using 3D text, meaning you can more reliably composite your titles and animations.
When working with multiple timelines, DaVinci Resolve will now accurately display the one currently in use, giving you greater certainty that you are working on the most up to date timeline.
As always, be sure to back up your project library before updating.
For details, downloads, and update instructions, visit the Blackmagic Design Support Page.
What’s new in DaVinci Resolve 18.6.1
- Systems now default to prefer proxy for single and multi user projects.
- Addressed a cloud sync issue with projects updated from 18.5.
- Addressed delays when performing ripple edits on long timelines.
- Addressed issue where editing or moving clips would stop playback.
- Addressed issue showing retimed clips with handles on the color page.
- Addressed issue navigating clips with show handles enabled.
- Addressed issue with grabbing stills after deleting a gallery album.
- Addressed issue importing suffixed multi mono files from media storage.
- Addressed waveform jump issue when performing multiframe nudges.
- Addressed issue navigating powergrades album in certain sort modes.
- Improved in or out point behavior in the transcription window.
- Dolby Vision 300 nit target display is now available.
- Addressed issue with multiple timelines showing as current timeline.
- Addressed a crash when using certain fonts on Text3D.
- Addressed issue with grid depth occlusion in the USD viewer.
- Addressed issue with disappearing key markers in the splines view.
- Addressed issue with moving locked point selections in the splines view.
- Addressed issue with polyline point scale and twist in the Edit viewer.
- General performance and stability improvements.
Gedaly is the Managing Editor of DVResolve.com and a Blackmagic Design Certified Trainer. He’s edited commercials for major brands and has done color & VFX for independent films. He consults on post-production workflow and creating online education. Gedaly is the co-founder of Working.Actor, a former marketing manager for large brands, and creates original film projects with his production company Razee.