The development team must have their hands full with improvement and necessary bug fixes, as there’s another update!
While most items on the list appear to be improvements or fixes for existing features, there were a couple useful new ones I noticed…
The ability to transcribe a whole bin is great when you have several clips in your media pool that you’ll want transcribe for editing or searching.
And when using Blackmagic Cloud Storage, you’ll have the ability in the media pool to see who uploaded a clip! So when you’ve got many users from other Resolve systems or Blackmagic Camera app, you can see who added to the project.
I think my favorite is the indicator for a timeline with custom settings. I try to keep my timelines to the defaults set in the project, but sometimes custom deliverables mean that there are some that use custom resolutions or different color management. This will help keep track of those – especially if I forget to label those in the timeline name!
Today we released DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4 which adds transcription controls to media bins. This lets you quickly add transcriptions to media and then search for clips using key words from the audio. This update also adds a new column to the media pool which shows which user uploaded shared clips. Adding these details is especially helpful when collaborating on a project as you will now know who to contact for further details and background information for each clip.
When viewing clips in the lightbox workspace, you can now filter by clip color, allowing you to view all footage you’ve flagged with a color marker and see these groupings in the lightbox thumbnail grid. DaVinci Resolve also now retains camera RAW settings with timeline backups. This means if you need to restore a timeline backup, your camera RAW adjustments will also have been saved, saving you from having to redo past work.
In addition, when adding audio tracks in Fairlight, the automation display will now be retained for each clip, allowing you to play back or modify these clips with automation applied.
As always, be sure to back up your project library before updating.
For details, downloads, and update instructions, visit the Blackmagic Design Support Page.
What’s new in DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4
- Support for Blackmagic RAW SDK 3.6.
- New UI indicator for timelines with custom settings.
- Transcribe audio and clear transcription context menus for bins.
- New media pool column to show where the media was uploaded from.
- Scripting API support to convert a timeline to stereoscopic 3D.
- Scripting API support to create stereo clips in the media pool.
- Scripting API support to create, import, and restore cloud projects.
- Additional scripting API inputs for creating subtitles from audio.
- Addressed incorrect trim cursors persisting outside the edit timeline.
- Addressed missing clip color filter in lightbox options.
- Addressed an issue with timeline backups not retaining RAW settings.
- Addressed incorrect color trace behavior for timelines in the same project.
- Addressed advanced panel picker offset on some high resolution displays.
- Addressed incorrect automation display scenarios after adding tracks.
- Addressed issue with Fusion particle positions using image emitters.
- Addressed USD loader trim and time scale issue for new assets.
- Addressed issue with updating Fusion overlay control positions.
- General performance and stability improvements.
Gedaly is the Managing Editor of DVResolve.com and a Blackmagic Design Certified Trainer. He’s edited commercials for major brands and has done color & VFX for independent films. He consults on post-production workflow and creating online education. Gedaly is the co-founder of Working.Actor, a former marketing manager for large brands, and creates original film projects with his production company Razee.