If you want to improve media performance you need to understand codecs.
Codec, if you didn’t know, is a shortened version of “encoder-decoder” since it’s a format for doing just that.
Each codec has it’s advantages, disadvantages, and ideal use cases. To work with various codecs, you should understand how they work.
In this video from VFXstudy you’ll learn about:
- 01:06 Typical File Formats
- 04:17 Container Formats
- 06:54 Codecs by Purpose
- 12:23 Codec related Settings
- 26:01 File Sizes and testing Hard Drives
- 34:10 GPU/CPU performance
- 39:33 Comparison in the Task Manager
It’s a lot to learn but this knowledge will help your workflow. Especially if you’re getting footage of all types from various clients or cameras.